The roundhouse represents the oldest building stock in the railway area. Its first stall and water tower were built in 1898 and 1899. At the time, the Revivalist period reigned in architecture. The station buildings made of stone and designed by Bruno F. Granholm, the chief architect of the Railway Board, followed the style of neo-renaissance brick architecture. Two new stalls were added to the roundhouse in the 1920s and 1930s. In the 1980s, the roundhouse became surplus to requirements in its original use, until a new part was added, and the expanded roundhouse was transformed into Salo Art Museum in 1998. Designs for converting the original roundhouse, the adjoining section and the expansion covered with light plasterwork were made by the City of Salo’s Building Department and the city architect Lauri Hollmén. The latest expansion of Art Museum Veturitalli was completed in autumn 2020, when a working and storage area of approximately 270 square metres, built as an extension to the new section, was completed for the use of Salo Museum Department.